Sunday, August 30, 2009

To-do list: finish week 4...[check]

On Friday, I wrapped up week four of the new gig and I'm still alive. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely not a meat grinder or anything--not even close--it's just different and it'll take some time to complete the mental shift from client to agency. A number of people have asked me how it is compared to Microsoft, to which my usual response is "it's just different." And it is.

Clients are a double-edge sword. On one hand, the work that you do with and for them keep you employed and your agency's heart beating...and they can be really great partners and friends, too. On the other hand, wow...get out the Bactine, Neosporin, and a Band-Aid and nurse the wounds and be sure to apply some ChapStick and have a G&T while you're cleaning yourself up.

Actually, I'm blowing it out of proportion a bit. Then again, maybe not...it's only been four weeks and I personally haven't experienced any major wounds or chapped lips in this short time or drunk myself under the table, but there have been some stressful moments. I'm learning as I go and know there will be absolutely fantastic moments with a few dark ones tossed in for variety. When it comes down to it, those same elements exist in every role.

I'm super thankful to the team of people I'm working with and who have extended me the courtesy and patience to bring me up to speed. You guys are absolute gems and I'm so very glad to be working with you.

Tomorrow is the start of another week...

No comments:

Post a Comment